-Life is Simple, it's Just Not Easy!

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Another Year!

For Christmas, I got one of those daily calendars that gives you a Bible verse or quote every day.
Today's was, "A godly woman faces her challenges with prayer, a sense of adventure and a great pair of boots."
I love this. It's funny because I read it while packing for Orlando; I was putting a pair of beautiful brown boots into my bag. God never fails to take moments like that and turn them into moments that teach me a great deal about my purpose.
Those of you that know me know that I love lists. Shoot, those of you that don't know me probably know that I love lists. It would seem like common knowledge that I would take advantage of the time of year when making a list of goals is commonplace. Thoughts about resolutions are running rampant through millions of minds today. Lists are being made. Promises created. Oaths taken. Diets are being changed. Cigarettes are being thrown away. Relationships are either being strengthened or discarded.
I do have a few resolutions. But nothing like the years before. I want to hit 119. I want to run an organized 5k... Not just one on the treadmill! And there are a few others.
I look forward to checking a few things off of my bucket list this year, and the excitement that gives me is probably a little too much. I am taking so many trips this year. So many new places. So many new people to meet.
I stood in the middle of my basement last night surrounded by the most incredible group of people. We huddled around the television. Dozens of us shouted the countdown and exclaimed, "Happy New Year!" loud enough for the neighbors to hear. I turned to see all of these faces that have been around so many other new year's eve's. We hugged & we kissed & for those moments, I was sort of lost. I looked at my friends with their boyfriends. Ones that have found their lobsters. & I was so excited for them. Excited that one day, I will find mine, too. I sent up some thoughts for mine... Wherever he is. I prayed that God would watch over him, and I thanked God that, one day, he and I will be together on New Year's Eve.
I looked at kids that are no longer kids anymore. They're growing up, and they are going to face their own challenges and triumphs this year. I looked at my family. Both blood and chosen. People that have made me into the person that I am. They are the reason that my life is so beautiful. Year after year.
New Year's Eve and New Year's Day are always kind of weird, in my humble opinion. The thought of ending a year is somewhat sad, and the thought of starting a new one is somewhat pressuring. In the last moments of 2012 and the first moments of 2013, I only felt blessed.
2012 was something else. I went to places that I never thought I'd go. I got closer to God than I ever imagined. I fell in love harder than I thought possible. I had my heart broken & then put back together. I made goals, and I made plans. I learned a lot & I felt a lot.
&& now I get to do it all over again!!
On the first day of 2013, God laid these words in front of me as soon as I woke up: "A godly woman faces her challenges with prayer, a sense of adventure and a great pair of boots!"
I am so excited. I have no idea where the Lord is going to take me this year!? I don't know where on Earth He will lead me. I don't know what He will teach me. Maybe I will figure out what I am going to do with this degree that I am going to get in 12 MONTHS. Maybe I will meet the man that I am going to spend my life with. Maybe I am going to lead someone where they need to be. Maybe someone will lead me where I need to be?
My resolutions are great, and I think that having goals is so important. But the biggest resolution that I have is just to have faith. Reckless faith. Passionate faith that reaches out and inspires other people to be passionate.
No matter where I go in the next few months, I will remember to bring my prayers, my sense of adventure and some really great boots!

1 comment: