-Life is Simple, it's Just Not Easy!

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A Grown Up?

I am standing on my head right now.
I want to jump on my bed and scream and do flips, but everyone is asleep & I can't wake them up.
Ladies & gents, this little girl just registered for the GRE. THE GRE. My graduate school entrance exam.
2013 is so full. It is brimming with opportunity. Brimming with promise. I'm not going to lie to you, I feel like I could throw up right now. Not necessarily in a bad way... Haha.
I start this semester on Monday.
I start my very first internship next week. I'm going to be working in a lab that tests children with learning disorders. We will try to uncover the mechanisms of the brain that differ between children that live with these disorders and those that don't.
On Valentine's Day, I'll apply for graduation. GRADUATION! I will be a college graduate in December. That hasn't even really sunk in yet.
Stephanie and I are going to South Carolina in March to help children living with obesity.
April 12th, I take the GRE.
I might take a quick trip to Colorado in May. For a secret purpose that will not be revealed until a later date... Haha.
I turn 21 May 15th.
I'm going to Cabo & Europe.
& my grad school applications are due December 3rd. 3 applications are going out. I hope they all come back with "yes's"! Or maybe I hope that only one comes back with a "yes"? One less decision I have to make.
There are so many other things that will be stuck in here or there. I'm going to run a half marathon. I'm finishing the Bible. (I am SO close to finishing it from start to finish.) I'm writing so much music. Etc. Etc. Etc.
I realize that you may read this and think, "Macy, we don't need an itinerary of what's going on in your life..."
I know, I know. But this is all so real.
I will be moving out in the next year and a half. I am growing up, and I really didn't think that would happen. I've always been kind of dependent. Dependent on my family. Dependent financially. Dependent on the guy I was dating. I've always just been terrified of making decisions for myself because I have been scared of letting down or pushing away the people that I love. If you asked me when I graduated high school where I would be now... I never would have guessed that the independent person that sits here typing would be the answer.
The reason that it's all just fallen into place like it has is because I've moved my dependency from these earthly things to the most wonderful, perfect heavenly thing!! I am completely dependent on my Jesus, and He steers me in the right direction. His direction.
Psalm 37:4 says, "Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart." I find my joy in Jesus. & everything else is just icing on the cake. Maybe God will send me all over the planet! Maybe I'll get to sing for a living. Maybe Tim Tebow will finally answer me on Twitter & he'll fall in love with me... Or some beautiful musician that I meet in Nashville? My thoughts are getting away from me. The point is. Those things are incredible. These opportunities that He has laid in front of me are truly blessings. & all of the opportunities that have yet to come my way are equally beautiful. But my true joy comes from Jesus. My time with Him. What I learn from Him. That's worth far more than anything I can find here on Earth.
I'm just so grateful. Tonight, while I was praying, the only thing I could think to say was just how incredibly thankful I am.
I always try to tie in some applicable information for people that read my blog in each post. But I feel like this one is more for me. When grad school starts, I am going to be so stressed out. Before I go on the trips that have been planned this year, I am going to be nervous. The tests. The applications. When I finally move out, I am going to have a nervous breakdown, I'm sure. Haha. The dates that I hope to go on this year... Wishful thinking, huh? Those are going to cause some butterflies, I'm sure. (If they occur!) I want to document this feeling. This moment of elation. This moment that is literally keeping me out of bed and pacing around in my room because so many dreams that I've had are becoming real.

When I was 15, Kaci Nalley and I participated in a pageant. Shoot, it was a trip... Anyway, there was this part of it when we had to dress in a suit, and walk across the stage and introduce ourselves and tell the audience what we planned to do with our lives.
I walked across the stage with perfect hair, makeup and an obnoxious red suit, grabbed the microphone and said, "My name is Macy Dennis. I'm from Douglasville, GA and I plan to obtain a doctorate degree in cognitive neuroscience." I know that a lot people thought that was weird. I mean there was one girl that said she wanted to be a teacher/ model/ astronaut or something... It's true. But this is happening!
Don't get me wrong. Something else might happen. God may call me into music before I get my Ph.D. Or something else entirely might happen for me. I am not going to get set in my own way. I'm following God.

I'm just excited. && to be honest, this gives me hope for other areas of my life that aren't exactly "coming together" like I thought they would. God will provide me with the perfect degree, the perfect career, the perfect home, the perfect opportunities to share His love, the perfect man, etc. Well, not "perfect" but perfectly suited for me!
If I could do cartwheels... I would do them right now.

2 comments:

  1. I have been so curious about your internship! I'm so glad you explained it here. So excited for you sweet girl. God is doing great things for you and IN you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy and excited for you and all the wonderful things to come! Thanks for blessing us all with who you are! Love you!

    ReplyDelete